Title: The Presence of the Holy Spirit
Passage: John 14:15-17
In hard times, we look to God for strength to endure the difficulties. It is not wrong to desire God’s power but we need to know that essentially, God’s power is not an energy force or a magical ability. Rather, God’s power is found in a Person – the Holy Spirit.
1) In John 14:16, in the last night before Jesus’ death, He assured His disciples that the Holy Spirit would be with them. How important is this assurance for believers today?
2) In the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit would come upon a person then leave. Starting from Jesus, the Holy Spirit stays in believers. How has the Holy Spirit guided or helped you recently (see also John 16:15, John 14:26 and Acts 1:8)?
1) Although the Holy Spirit is to be known intimately by believers (v17), three common groups of believers live as though the Spirit does not exist – those who are unaware of the Holy Spirit, those who resist the Holy Spirit and those who neglect the Holy Spirit. Which group are you most likely to fall into? Why?
1) God can work in and through us only when we surrender to His Spirit. What are some areas you need to submit to the Holy Spirit today?
2) What are habits we need to change so that we do not neglect the Holy Spirit (e.g. do morning devotion instead of checking social media)? How can the LG embark on a journey together to instil good spiritual habits that help us to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s prompting?