Text: Luke 10:38-42
Being less self-focused and distracted helps us to make room for God in our lives.
1) Why do you think Martha became distracted by the preparations? What was she possibly concerned about?
2) What was the “better” thing that Mary chose (v42)? Why do you think Jesus said that this is “better”?
1) What are some things that usually distract us from making room for God? How and why do these things do so?
2) While Jesus corrected Martha for being distracted, He did not rebuke her for her preparation. Under what circumstances can giving our best in preparation result in self-focus and/or distraction? Why?
1) Think of a situation in which we might become overly self-focused and/or distracted amid our preparation. How can we make room for God in such situations? What are some possible changes we would need to make to our environment or mindset etc?
2) In our LG, there will be varying levels of service and commitment. While we do not compare and become guilty / self-righteous, there is also room for spurring one another on. How might we do so?
3) For the upcoming conference, brainstorm together as an LG on how we can remind one another to make room for God. What are some practical things we can do for one another? As much as we prepare to tune in for Hope Conference from our homes, let’s learn how to make room in our hearts and set aside time to receive all that He has to pour out at Conference! As much as we prepare to tune in for Hope Conference from our homes, let’s learn how to make room in our hearts and set aside time to receive all that He has to pour out at Conference!