Ever felt your work is a rat race? Learn what drives this striving spirit within us for an endless, competitive, and often self-defeating pursuit for wealth or power, and how we as believers can run differently with God!
Title: Quit the Rat Race
Text: Ecclesiastes 4:4-12
Is there a better way to live than running in the rat race? How can we get there?
- How do you define success?
In your own words, describe what the rat race is to you. Do you think it is possible to avoid the rat race? Why?
How do envy and greed cause us to be caught in the rat race? How will contentment help us to be freed from the race?
If contentment is key, why is it so difficult to practise?
The preacher shares a few signs how remaining in the rat race may have badly impacted our relationship with God and people. Can you think of other signs?
Atomic habits are powerful. What are 1-2 small habits you will start cultivating in order to build contentment in your life? Who will you share your plans with?
The company we keep influences our perspective. Who would you like to interact more with so that you can build one another up?
Title: Becoming A Clear Signpost
Text: Philippians 2:12-16
The way we lead our lives in the world shows the world who Jesus is and what He has done in our lives. What does it mean to be a signpost for God? What difference can you make for God in the marketplace?
1) According to Philippians 2:12-16, what is God’s purpose for every believer? How does living out God’s purpose look in your context, for example, as a child, as a spouse, parent or an employee?
2) How do you think inner transformation occurs? What is a personal story of how God has moulded and refined you to be more like Christ?
1) What do you think is the difference between “working for” and “working out” your salvation? When someone works out, he/she can look forward to a fitter and healthier body. What do you think believers can look forward to when they work out their salvation?
2) How challenging do you think it is to be ‘blameless and pure’ and to ‘hold out the word of life’ as what Paul encouraged the believers to do? What do you think Paul meant when he said that it is God working in us to will and act according to His good purpose?
3) Who is someone you would consider a marketplace minister? Do you see yourself as a marketplace minister? Why or why not?
1) How do you think you can be a signpost in where God has placed you? Which of the four ways do think you can start applying in your life (i.e. pray faithfully, connect relationally, love practically, and share boldly) to bring light to the marketplace? What is stopping you?
The COVID-19 virus has impacted our economy significantly. Singapore downgrades 2020 economic growth forecast indicating a possible downturn.
Lucas Chow is no stranger to challenging times. During the 2008 Global Financial Crisis, he was the CEO of MediaCorp and was asked to lay off at least 10% of the staff. Hear how he navigated through life’s uncertainties and what he holds certain as anchors for his life.
The COVID-19 virus has impacted our economy significantly. Singapore downgrades 2020 economic growth forecast indicating a possible recession. Lucas Chow is no stranger to challenging times. He is Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors of Health Promotion Board; former Chief Executive Officer of MediaCorp. During the 2008 Global Financial Crisis, he was the CEO of MediaCorp and was asked to lay off at least 10 percent of the staff. Hear how he navigated through life’s uncertainties and what he holds certain as anchors for his life.
Why do we still get tired and restless despite taking breaks? Is rest just about not doing any work? Discover how we can begin the new year with true rest in God.
Life can be exciting when things are fresh and interesting. But when the initial thrill wears off, we often end up dealing with everyday trivial and routine matters.
Is there really all there is to life? Are our activities and busying bringing us somewhere meaningful? Join the search for significance.