Title: The Basis – Why Are We to Influence
Series: Transformed to Influence
Text: Titus 1:1-4
Why do we want to influence? Is it because we feel for certain groups of people or because we desire to find a purpose for ourselves? These are not wrong, but there is a more important and more lasting motivation.
- Think about some of the commonly held ideas that people in your life station have about Christians exerting their influence. Share some examples and note – are there mostly positive or negative sentiments or a mix of both?
- What basis does the passage Titus 1:1-4 provide for Christians to choose to live out a life of influence? How does Paul’s life demonstrate this basis?
- We influence our world because God has sent us and He promises that our work, when done on the foundation of the Gospel, will bear eternal fruit. Despite this fact, many believers do find it difficult to obey God to be salt and light to the world. Consider the possible reasons for this, and discuss in the group the validity of some of these reasons. What might help to mitigate some of these challenges?
- The hustle and bustle of daily life can lead us to live lives for the here and now, for the immediate needs and wants, while losing sense of the eternal perspective. Believers are not spared from this. Think about our current lives: What is the significance of eternity to us personally? How do we know that eternity still matters to us? How does living like eternity matters look like?
- Recount your personal Discipleship, Outreach, Care (DOC) story. Why and how did you get involved in DOC? What made you continue doing DOC despite the challenges along the way? Share specific incidents if you are comfortable.
- How can we know for sure that our work as influencers is based on the Gospel? What happens if something else beside the Gospel becomes our foundation?
- Do a personal heart-check. Are we still involved in the Great Commission, and more importantly, are we involved out of obedience to Him? Conversely, if we are not participating in the Great Commission, is it due to reasons other than Him? Take some time to repent for our disobedience and seek God’s forgiveness.
- Some of us may be feeling weary of doing God’s work after some time. How can we remind and encourage one another that we are in it for the long haul? How can we help one another to keep the right basis?