Series: Ways of a Disciple
Title: Beyond Withholding Retaliation (Exhibiting Magnanimity)
Text: Matthew 5:38-42
It is natural to retaliate when people wrong or hurt us, yet Jesus challenges us to not just hold back but also to be big-hearted towards them.
- Who do you know to be a magnanimous person? How has the person impacted you?
- Why do you think it’s natural that we wish to retaliate when people wrong or hurt us?
- Among Jesus’ four illustrations in Matthew 5:38-42, which is the toughest for you to live out? Why?
- Withholding retaliation is difficult enough, but exhibiting magnanimity to those who want to take advantage of us is even harder. Why do you think Jesus thinks it is possible for believers to live out His difficult teaching? How has Jesus’ work on the cross shown that He practices what He preaches?
- Who do you need to show magnanimity to? What are a few things you can do to turn the other cheek to the person?
- Practising magnanimity alone is tough. How can the LG support one another in pursing magnanimity?